Thursday, November 29, 2012

ups, downs and unknowns..


today has been a little of everything.. lets start with the down..

It's been 3 days since I saw Charlotte.  I've been seeing her everyday since this started.. right up to the end of her radiation treatment and obviously including some hospital sleepovers, etc.  This morning as she walked slowly to my front door I had to swallow and take a deep breath.

Charlotte has changed so much in the last 2 weeks.  She is so bloated from the steroids and, to be honest, can hardly muster a smile.  She's aware of it too which is sad.  One of the kids at school today said she looks like she's always about to cry but doesnt.   It just makes me sick.

On to good news..

Yesterday her steroids were reduced to just 1mg a day... that's obviously still 1mg too much but we're nearly off them...  I really hope we dont see them again after next Wednesday.

Rachel dropped her off at my house this morning ready to go to school.  Charlotte had woken with a blood sugar level of 3 which is obviously too low.  by lunch it was back up at 13, so she had her normal (high) dose of insulin.  At dinner time, I pricked her finger and then dived for the glucose lollies.  It was 1.3 which scared the crap out of me.

The good news is that she didn't have insulin tonight(!) and after speaking with the diabetes doc I am hopeful that her BGL remains below 10 tomorrow.  If so, she will not need any more insulin.  When I told her I could see the excitement shine through her swollen face.  Of course, I had to suck in the tears again as I felt her joy.

I'm trying to figure out something grand for new years eve now.  stay tuned :)