Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Rachel's Update #13
This is the email Rachel sent around a couple of days ago..
Well, only four more radiotherapy treatments left now. Charlotte is getting a bit excited. She said today that she can't wait to just eat normal food again. Unfortunately, she has had enough of the diabetes diet. She is also very tired of all the insulin injections. I don't blame her either. She is covered in bruises from them. I'm guessing the chemo and maybe steroids are causing her to bruise a lot more than normal.
Her cheeky little personality came out again yesterday. We had our dim sum lunch with Bec, Cam and Ashton and Charlotte and Ashton ate heaps, probably more than us adults. They really enjoyed themselves. I took Charlotte to the shops to get her some sugar free treats afterwards and we found some ice cream, Lollies, chocolate, ice cream toppings and cones. She had a bit of the chocolate while we were at the shops and was so happy.
When we got home I unpacked the car and got a phone call as we were putting everything away. I went outside to get better reception and when I came in again, the packets of Lollies had been opened by Charlotte with her craft scissors. She had the biggest grin on her face when I asked how many Lollies she ate. There was quite a few missing. I did laugh a little, but then had to explain that even those sort of Lollies aren't so good for her tummy, as they have other stuff in them that can give you a sore tummy. It does say on the packets that the sorbitol in them can have a laxative effect. She thought it was great fun having so many Lollies. Her tummy was a bit sore a few hours later at dinner time, but was OK not long after. When she went to bed she was OK, then while she was asleep we started hearing the after effects. It sounded like a motorbike in her room every ten minutes or so. Never heard such loud noises from a little person! I couldn't help myself and got the giggles at one point! When I asked her this morning about it, she didn't know anything about it, so that's a good thing. Unfortunately, those after effects continued on today and she was having great fun every time and giggling away. Hopefully tomorrow it will all be out of her system! All of this was happening while she looked like a beautiful princess in her tutu. Not quite what you would expect from a beautiful ballerina.
Charlotte wore her tutu all day today. She walked through to treatment so confidently and proudly for the first time in ages. It was very nice to see her with a bit of confidence back. She had everyone's attention and loved every second of it. Her legs are getting stronger each day now and I've been getting her to walk lots of short trips and a few stairs every day. I can see the little muscles coming back, so it won't be too long before she is able to play like she used to again. She will soon be bossing the dogs around again and chasing Puzzle inside. We got through a bit of schoolwork at home today before she got too tired and had a little nap this afternoon. Then we made healthy "raw" chocolate and Charlotte painted lots of cups and plates for Grandma. She is definately getting more tired after treatment and I can see this will increase this week and probably next week once the radiation has built up in her little body.
We are hoping on Wednesday the doctors might stop her steroids and then we will see if the diabetes stops too. Will wait and see. Only four treatments to go ...